From the UK to La Rochelle a flight takes around 1h 30mins. La Rochelle Airport to the hotel is 10 minutes by taxi and costs 15 Euros. Click here for information on airlines and journey times.
During low season (Nov - March) there are few flights, so the best way to reach La Rochelle is by train.
Other Airports: Poitiers and Nantes
From London: 852 km (8h 50)
From Paris: 467 km (4h 25)
From Nantes: 146 km (1h 45m)
From Poitiers: 137 km (1h 30)
The picturesque, seaside town of La Rochelle is situated in the Poitou Charentes region and lies on the Atlantic coast. Life revolves around the Old Port, dating back from the 14th to 17th centuries. The town itself boasts arcaded walkways, half-timbered houses and luminous limestone facades. What’s more La Rochelle is the second sunniest place in France, and attracts tourists from all over the world. Situated in the Old Quarter, the Hotel Champlain is the perfect base to explore this charming town and the best way to see it is on foot.
What to do in La Rochelle:
- Visit the Aquarium which is the town’s number one attraction and one of Europe’s biggest aquariums. A visit involves being taken by “submarine” right to the ocean floor where you will glimpse a variety of sea life
- Climb up the famous Towers located at the entrance of the harbour and take in the superb views at the top
- Visit the many museums – the Toy Museum, the impressive Musée des Beaux-Arts or the Musée du Nouveau Monde
- Window shop under the stone arcades of rue du Palais and rue des Merciers, where there's a great range of shops selling clothing and regional specialities especially those to do with the sea such as the rich sea salt
- Island hop. Take a bike ride and wander to the neighbouring island of Île de Ré known as the “French Hamptons” as it is popular with Parisiens during the summer months. Visit the islands of Île d'Aix and the larger Île d'Oléron only accessible by boat
What to do in the Poitou Charentes region:
- Wander down the coast to discover some of France’s most incredible beaches from the gorgeous islands of Île de Ré and Île d'Oléron down to Royan, this coastline offers many sandy beaches
- Take a trip to Cognac which is just over an hour’s drive away from La Rochelle. Explore the Old Town which is full of history and take a tour of one of the Cognac houses, in particular the impressive Château de Cognac which is home to the Otard cognac producer
- Take a boat ride along the Marais Poitevin also known as “Green Venice” and take in the beauty of the Poitou-Charentes
For more information on how to book our cooking courses or how to reach us, please get in touch. La Rochelle is the ideal location for a weekend break in France.