Ever heard of Shave Ice? That ice-based dessert which comprises shaved and flavored ice. It is not ice cream and is certainly not a parfait or smoothie. Shave Ice is a Hawaiian treat that consists of shaved blocks of Ice in a cone or cup, flavored with tasty ingredients and syrup. However, it is important you get your Shave Ice from trusted restaurants, cafes, and spots in Hawaii. This post reveals the most popular Shave Ice Places in Hawaii where you can get a treat of the delicious dessert.
Across the archipelago; from Maui to Kauai, O’ahu, and Ni’ihau, among others, you’d find a host of great places to have a good treat of Shave Ice for you and your loved ones. Whether it’s an avant-garde creation or an exciting highlighter-colored cup, there’s a cold treat for everyone, and it may be closer than you think. Let’s dive right into it.
- Matsumoto Shave Ice. The Matsumoto Shave Ice is open to the public from 10am to 6pm everyday of the week, except during special holidays. The cafe is located in Haleʻiwa, Hawaii and offers some of the best Shave Ices you’ll find on the Island. Their flavors are free of gluten and the syrup is 100% natural cane sugar. Some popular flavors include strawberry, lilikoi, Guava, Blue Pineapple, Banana, Coconut, Grape, and several others.
- Beach Street Cafe. Call it the beach treat for its color and taste then you’ll understand why it’s a special feature on the menu of Beach Street Cafe. This is a family business true and true, emerging from the Peterson Ohana since the early 2000s. The Beach Street Cafe is located at 2439 S. Kihei Rd., Kihei, Hawaii, and is open to visitors and guests seeking the best Shave Ice in Maui.
- Shimazu Shave Ice. This is another great place to unwind and is one of the most popular Shave ice places in Hawaii. Located at 3111 Castle St, Honolulu, Hawaii, the Shimazu Shave Ice offers some of the Island’s best creams, smoothies, beverages, and drinks. However, there’s no surprise that it is best known for its unique Shave Ice blend, available in different flavors and sizes.
- Kona Ice. Finally a Shave Ice truck. Some people say this is the best way to have a shave Ice afterall. It’s common to find the Kona Ice Shave truck in parts of Hawaii delivering colorful and tasty goodness to lovers of the treat. Kona Ice is both adventurous and daring, offering flavors with names like Monster Mango, Tiger’s Blood, and so on. There are also more highly nutritious options like First Fruit, Vitablend, and Sugar Free variants.
- Wailua Shave Ice. Located just beside Starbucks at Kuhio Highway Kapaa, Hawaii, this is one of the spots where you can enjoy the magic of Wailua Shave Ice. Open from 11am to 9pm, this is one of the most popular Shave ice places in Hawaii, offering colorful, refreshing, and deliciously tasty Shave Ice to visitors from across the world.
- The Fresh Shave. Run out of a classic trailer, this is one of the more recent Shave Ice spots on the Island of Kauai. Here, it’s not a matter of matching flavors, as the menu is perfectly preset with amazing combinations. These variants range from the sweet-tooth decadent to the more conscious healthy-ish style. Some variants include the Chevron, and the Dirt McGirt which is chocolatey, coconut-cream-ey, and cold brew.